I always bump into your dad outside McDonalds
It's funny, because just a few weeks ago I bumped into your mum at the supermarket. Not in, but near the natural foods aisle. She was wan and missing you. I inspected her trolley with friendly approval as we talked: there were green things from the vegie section, healthy looking paper parcels. Perhaps she had just come from the natural foods aisle.
Then today, after I nearly got myself run down trying to sneak across the roundabout, I happened to bump into your dad. He told me he was going to McDonalds. This made me laugh in confusion, thinking suddenly of his banana sandwiches and his dabblings in breatharianism. I did not think he was a Big Mac kind of guy.
He smiled and told me he had to change his catheter (or something, I am vague on precise medical details) every six hours and he chose McDonalds for the nice bathrooms. At least I think that's what he said amid the traffic and my panic to collect my boy from preschool and rush us to the library in time to meet Grandma. I told him I gathered it was to do with his kidneys and he agreed.
We said we had last heard you were in Melbourne. Are you still?
He looked well and we both smiled as we walked our different ways.
Then today, after I nearly got myself run down trying to sneak across the roundabout, I happened to bump into your dad. He told me he was going to McDonalds. This made me laugh in confusion, thinking suddenly of his banana sandwiches and his dabblings in breatharianism. I did not think he was a Big Mac kind of guy.
He smiled and told me he had to change his catheter (or something, I am vague on precise medical details) every six hours and he chose McDonalds for the nice bathrooms. At least I think that's what he said amid the traffic and my panic to collect my boy from preschool and rush us to the library in time to meet Grandma. I told him I gathered it was to do with his kidneys and he agreed.
We said we had last heard you were in Melbourne. Are you still?
He looked well and we both smiled as we walked our different ways.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home